The re-aligned R148 roadway is expected to open to traffic later this year. The road is located on land which is licensed to Intel. The realigned road was funded by Intel and will be taken in charge by Kildare County Council once all of the works have been completed.
The re-aligned road takes traffic for a short distance on a new alternate route which runs close to the existing R148 roadway. The alternate route is only in effect in the area to the front of the Intel campus and will ensure that the impact of ongoing construction activity is minimised. The opening of the re-aligned road will also include;
• Resurfacing of the roundabout (which sits at the R148 / R449 junction)
• Newly planted greenery along a section of the cycle way
• Upgraded traffic lights system with smart technology
• Cycle and walkways on both sides of road
• The cycle lane will connect into the Canal greenway
• New bus stops will be in place on the re-aligned roadway