Developing a Virtualized Cloud Storage Platform
Strato future-proofs HiDrive* online storage service with virtualized platform based on Intel® technologies
One of Europe’s biggest hosting companies, Strato provides a range of online services including HiDrive, a subscription-based cloud storage platform for business users and consumers. To prepare the platform for future user growth and ensure the continued high performance of the service, Strato has enhanced its data center infrastructure with a new virtualized storage environment based on hardware that includes the Intel® Xeon® processor E3 family, Intel® Solid-State Drive 710 Series and Intel® Ethernet 10 Gigabit Server Adapters. The new hardware platform offers a more cost-effective and flexible alternative to proprietary storage systems and provides the high performance, reliability and scalability Strato needs as it looks to grow the user base for HiDrive.
• Virtualizing storage: Strato wanted to improve its online storage offering with virtualization to increase performance, flexibility and robustness
• More reliable: With business customers demanding strict service level agreements (SLAs), it needed a technology platform that it knew would continue to perform
• Cost effective: Developing its own platform using off-the-shelf components offered a cheaper alternative to proprietary storage arrays, with greater compatibility
• Data access: Intel SSDs 710 deliver high I/O performance, speeding up data upload and access times for service users
• Better connectivity: Intel Ethernet 10 Gigabit Server Adapters maximize data transfer speeds
• Processing support: Intel Xeon processors E3 family provide solid support for storage virtualization environment
• Improved performance: New storage platform delivers faster performance than existing hardware
• Trusted delivery: Virtualized storage environment delivers greater reliability and scalability
• Future capacity: Intel-based infrastructure provides the flexibility to accommodate future growth in demand for HiDrive service
Read the full Developing a Virtualized Cloud Storage Platform Case Study.